Gollum's Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gollum's Cave

Here is the new forum for our kinship. I know you all have a lot of great ideas for what to put in it, so post away!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recipes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sanneke

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Recipes   Recipes EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi everyone! I had some requests for salmon/halibut recipes, which I figured I'd post here. I grew up eating some of these recipes, and they are definitely very Alaskan. I can include recipes which call for using wood planks or branches (we use them on top of the coals, or marinate with them, to infuse more flavor). But I figure not everyone will be able to get the wood, or care to use it. If you really have a burning desire to light some wood on fire, and toast your salmon, I'd be happy to pass those along too. Enjoy!

Salmon with a little kick...

Ingredients

8 (4 ounce) fillets salmon
1/2 cup peanut oil
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
3 teaspoons brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Place salmon filets in medium glass dish. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut oil, soy sauce, vinegar, green onions, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and salt. Whisk together, pour over the fish. Cover and marinate fish in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
2. Prepare grill with coals about 5 inches from grate. You can lightly oil the grate if you like, though I never do it. I tend to wrap my salmon in tinfoil. *we use a lot of coal up there, but obviously a propane grill is just fine*
3. Grill the fillets for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at the thickest part, or until fish just flakes with a fork. Turn over halfway through cooking.
Back to top Go down
Sanneke

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Pecan Crusted Salmon   Recipes EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm allergic to nuts, but I know several people who prepare salmon this way. Cannot tell you how great it is, but as they continue to make it, shouldn't suck too badly.

Ingredients

2 tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
2 tbsp. melted butter
4 tsp. honey
¼ cup fresh bread crumbs
¼ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tsp. chopped parsley
4 (4 to 6 oz. each) salmon fillets or steaks
salt & black pepper
lemon wedges

Directions

Mix together mustard, butter and honey in a small bowl; set aside. Mix together breadcrumbs, pecans and parsley in a small bowl; set aside. Season each salmon fillet or steak with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or broiling pan. Brush each fillet or steak with mustard-honey mixture. Put breadcrumb mixture on top of each fillet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measure at thickest part, or until salmon just flakes when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
Back to top Go down
Sanneke

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Salmon with Orange Vinaigrette    Recipes EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Ingredients

4 salmon fillets or steaks (6-8 oz each)
1 cup orange juice
1-1/2 tablespoon red onion, minced
1-1/2 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon Honey-Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup fat free Italian salad dressing
4 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Sauce
Cook orange juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it resembles consistency of syrup (makes about 1/4 cup); let cool slightly. Place onion, lime juice, mustard and chili powder in a blender; add cooled syrup. Blend 30 seconds. Then, with blender running, slowly pour in the salad dressing.

Preparing your salmon.... you can either pan sear the salmon, or cook on the grill. If you sear it, I'd recommend 2-3 min per side, then place in the oven (400 degrees), and bake 4-8 minutes. Top salmon w/sauce and fresh cilantro.

Back to top Go down
Sanneke

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Cranberry Pudding   Recipes EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 pm

We have wild cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, currants. People tend to use them for jam, puddings, pies, etc. Thought someone might enjoy making this pudding. It's my gma's recipe.

Ingredients for the pudding

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons margarine
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cranberries (fresh, if you can get them)

Ingredients for the sauce

1 stick butter
1 can canned milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

* if you want to lean it up, you can use a few T of butter, and canned skim milk - shouldn't matter that much

Directions

1. Cream sugar and butter. Add other ingredients and fold in berries last. Bake at 350, for 50 minutes.

2. Pour sauce over and enjoy the goodness.
Back to top Go down
Sanneke

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Other Fish Ideas   Recipes EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Salmon ideas - you really cannot go wrong using lemon juice, onion and capers. Brown sugar is another favorite up there. Other ingredients I've seen used, which you might consider.... topping the salmon with coconut or Yoshida's sauce (original flavor).

Halibut - You can top it with sour cream. Dip the halibut in egg, roll in flour and top with a little salt and pepper. Saute until browned. Remove from pan, place into baking dish and top with sour cream. Bake at 350, for about 30 minutes. Can sprinkle paprika on top, should you feel adventurous.

I'll post more recipes... stay tuned. Smile
Back to top Go down
Annalethiel
Admin
Annalethiel

Recipes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipes   Recipes EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Oh wow, these look tasty! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://gollumsbane.webmmorpg.net
Sponsored content

Recipes Empty